Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I Love Aaron Karo


I'm bringing some New York humor to D.C. Or maybe it's that New Yorkers just have a better sense of humor.

Or maybe it's just
Aaron Karo.

I have been reading Karo's
columns ever since I was in college and today felt compelled to share him with everyone else. I am still on his mailing list, and to this day look forward to each new column.

Karo became famous through an email he wrote his freshman year in college, which he later came to publish two books. He now travels and does stand up, writes "rumination" columns, and always makes my day much more enjoyable.


Please take some time to read about him and absorb the laughs. We need more hilarious people like him in this world!

Not convinced yet? Here are a few excerpts from his more recent columns:

"The point is, who the hell knows where your career or your life will take
you? Your first job is all about networking, doing data entry hungover, and
daring the guy in the next cubicle to jerk off in the office bathroom."

"Recently, I was in a rush to catch a train and so
when I bought a magazine for $3.95, I told the guy to keep the change. I think
that he thought I was being all snobby for rejecting the nickel, but really I
just couldn’t wait. Now I feel bad. This was like two weeks ago. Either I have a
very strong conscience, or these whitening strips are going to my brain."

"English Muffins are neither English nor muffins. Discuss."

"Could there be any more run, walk, bike, or jog-a-thons going on this summer? Why combine charity with something boring like exercise? Why not combine it with sex? Or booze? Or what about Star Wars? I’m pretty sure Star Wars is available."


8 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Lauren said...

Here is one of my favorites: "I love Wasted Happy Hour Chick. This is the girl who came straight from work to the bar and is still there at 11:30pm even though her colleagues are all gone, she’s lost a shoe, and she’s been carrying around her laptop bag for six hours. Wasted Happy Hour Chick can usually be found dancing wildly by herself in the corner and is easy prey for Slimy Investment Banker Dude – who’s not nearly as drunk but has far fewer morals."

Oh man.... classic.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous carolyn said...

I know you gals mean well, but there are (just a quick estimate) easily 50-200 people just-as-or-more funny than Aaron Karo in this city. I appreciate his sense of humor, sure, but to announce to your little readership that "New York is better than D.C. because..." is passe. I'd be more than happy to provide a long list of local columnists and bloggers who can out-clever him any day.

Again, I mean no slight to Karo, but you did just slight D.C. in kind of a nasty way.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

Carolyn: I think you quoted me wrong. Did I say that?

I mentioned Karo because I have been following his work for a few years now, in college and the working world, which is why I suggested him as a good and humorous read, not to "slight" D.C. at all!

I would love to learn about comedians in D.C. and follow them as well! Please suggest some!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers to you for pointing out the humor in life. Some people really take it all to seriously!!!!

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn... chill out sista!

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn: I would love to see your list of those 50-200 people.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Underused said...

Because of my hatred for Aaron Karo, I feel compelled to point you to this guy:

http://myblogispoop.blogspot.com/

He is the one that showed me the light. And he makes me laugh out loud at work.

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Larissa said...

I love him too...I def bought his book Ruminations on Twentysomething life....I read it in one sitting. Oh, so true!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home