Saturday, May 14, 2005

The number every girl (and boy) should know

I know you've been in this situation:

You're out with friends for an evening. You're just trying to relax and have a good time, but there is that one guy (or girl) who just won't leave you alone. You try to be nice about the fact that you are completely not interested. You try being mean. You try leaving the spot you're hanging out in. And still, this person persists.

It's exacerbating. And it can spoil an otherwise fantastic night out on the town.

Well, let me introduce my solution to you. It's called The Rejection Hotline. And it's been around for a while. It's frequently a night saver for me - and now I'm passing it on to you!

Basically, it's a number you give out when you don't want to give your real one. When the receiver calls it, trying to get to you, they reach a recording letting them know that while they believed they scored with your number, they were, in fact, denied.

So here's how it can work: you exhaust all other options to get that annoying boy (girl) to leave you alone. You simply turn to them and say, "I've really enjoyed meeting you tonight - but my friends and I have a lot of catching up to do. Why don't I give you my phone number and you can call me later this week if you'd like to meet up again?" And it works every time.

The best part is that there are numerous rejection hotline numbers and they all have real area codes (no 800 numbers) based on where you live. For example, the DC line is 202-452-7468. To find your local rejection hotline number, click here.

And no, this isn't mean, for anyone thinking so. Think about it, so you meet a girl one night and think that you hit it off, only to be given the rejection hotline number. Sure at first you'll be disappointed, but if you only met one night it's not like you'll be heartbroken... And now you'll have the number and can give it out to someone else in the future!

6 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Underused said...

That's all fine and dandy for the assholes who won't leave you alone, but I hope that trick is only used after politely making it clear that you're not interested. In your run-of-the-mill "can I get your number" situation, it's preferable to receive a flat no, or an "excuse me, we're having a girls' night," than a fake number. But how will this really work once the bar vultures figure out that the number you just gave them is the rejection hotline? They'll have to catch on eventually.

And I don't know where you found my picture, but I'd appreciate it if you'd take it down.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Of course I always try the polite approach first... It's when the guys continue to stay aggressive - the method really works like a charm... And if they already know the hotline when I give it, well, hopefully they'll take that hint as well ;)

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Suzi said...

Young professional women who have a reasonable amount of confidence in themselves shouldn't have to resort to giving a fake number. Eye contact and a firm but polite "Thank you, but I'm not interested" would leave you feeling better about yourself, and wouldn't cause the guy a huge stomach ache the next day like getting the rejection hotline message likely would.

. . .said the lady who's been married 21 years, so what do I know about it, anyway, LOL!

Oh, and I think you mean "exasperating" rather than exacerbating.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Johnny said...

i just had to find out what it said so i called the number.

too funny!

 
At 7:29 PM, OpenID briii887 said...

Omg, I am a gymnast and I was going to another town for meet and there were these hockey players (playas) lol and they wanted me and our friends numbers i decided to give them one and it was that number hilarious they thought it was funny so no hard feelings!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger laurenpike said...

Is there on for the uk?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home