Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Crackberry Nation


*A dear friend wrote the following story to be published directly to The Butterfly Network:

As a recent college grad, I’m new to the business world, and therefore I’m just being exposed to a little thing I like the call the Blackberry epidemic. Or rather, the Crackberry epidemic.

It all started on my first day of work when my new coworkers took me out for a congratulatory lunch. As I politely answered questions about school, graduation, and friends, I noticed that they periodically typed messages into a tiny handheld device. This was, keep in mind, in the middle of our conversation. As I rambled on about my life, their eyes glazed over, they peeked down into their laps and their thumbs began moving at a rapid pace across the tiny keyboards. I was astonished.

That was then.

A month later, I’ve come to live with and accept the Crackberry codependency that my colleagues suffer from. Not having one of the little buggers myself, though, I can’t help but wonder: are they really, really necessary?

Since when do we need to be in constant, up-to-the-second contact with people? Can’t these “urgent” emails and calls be addressed after the hour it takes to eat lunch? And since when is it acceptable to type an email to one person while having a face-to-face conversation with another? Doesn’t the combination of email, IM, and cell phones suffice? I’ve actually seen men typing away on their Crackberries while out to dinner with their girlfriends and wives.

I’ve had people tell me that they “can’t live without” theirs. Oh really? Cause you seemed to be managing perfectly fine when I knew you 6 months ago.

My coworkers keep telling me that one day, if I get a Blackberry, I’ll cross over to the “dark side.” I beg to differ. When it comes to keeping in contact with my coworkers, I prefer to live by the theory that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

9 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I had a crackberry at my old job and can attest that it is addicting. The 24-7 contact is a hard habit to break. When I was home sick, I could never rest due to the constant vibration and feeling of urgency - that I had to respond to the emails. Now, when I'm home sick, I think something is wrong when the office doesn't call to bother me. Then again, my old job was insane. But still...I do miss always being connected.

Ah memories...thanks Diva!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

It's the same phenomenon as with cell phones. Yes, it is rude. No, people will never learn . . .

. . . unless you mock them relentless, publicly, and loudly, and coat them so thoroughly in ignominy that they feel as if they were some sort of horrible candy-apple of shame rather than caramel for their actions. Caution: do not attempt this at your new job, surrounded by your new coworkers.

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im pissed because this was the promise of cellphones, that u could type emails and blah blah blah.

Now theyve managed to snark another 300 quid from us.

Evil bastards.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous pretty in pink said...

Blackberries are cool for two seconds, and then you realize that it blows to constantly be able to reach you (mine has direct connect as well...I HATE Nextel!). Even on vacation, I have to lug it around...people who long for one can GLADLY have mine...

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger roosh said...

the conversation must have been boring if they didn't mind constantly interrupting it to check work email

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually no, I totally disagree with you DCB. When you are at lunch with your new coworkers it is rude to be doing anything other than learn about the new employee you will be working with. Have some tact.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

Girlfriend once told me, in response to the words "I'll email you", "no... no... no... you be like normal people -- if you want to talk to me, pick up the phone." That said, I got off the crackberry last year. What convinced me? Was a nice dinner with some friends in Annapolis on a sunday night and one guy was emailing constantly. I took one last look, and cashed it out. Now, when I leave the office, only people I answer phone for are party people (friends).

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous I wrote this blog said...

THANK you elvis- you get my point! Kudos to you for ditching the thing... I'm sure its liberating!

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about how much you use IM and your cell phone. Then answer with a straight face that you won't be addicted to your blackberry when you get one. Blackberry's are the older peoples version of IM. They are instant communication between friends, coworkers, etc. P.S. Talking on your cell phone while riding with one person in a car is also rude haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home