Monday, June 13, 2005

Diva And The City

So, next Thursday I leave for the Big Apple. I'm taking one of DC's Chinatown buses and heading up for a few days for work/play and one helluva family reunion (Great uncle's 80th surprise birthday party - yea, I'm Italian.)

The thing is, I can confidently admit I don't know a damn thing about New York City. Now, I can tell you plenty about D.C. - I've lived here for half my life. I've literally grown up engulfed in politics, scandals, and power and can blog about my experieces in such a familiar atmosphere - this is my home.

But now I am about to enter the complete opposite. N.Y.C is a foreign land to me. Right now, the most useful thing I know about NYC is that it is one of the nation's safest cities to live in. And D.C. is one of the most dangerous cities to live in. Twisted, yet comforting.

I know fashion is key. Well, I don't know. I've "heard." Complete opposite of D.C. as well, now that I think about it. Politics in D.C., fashion in N.Y.C. (As you can see, as I type, I'm mentally mapping out differences between the two cities.)

I know that there is no smoking in any bars. That people party in clubs till the wee hours of the morning. That you rub shoulders with famous celebrity faces in the coffee shop and don't think twice about it. (Here, we rub faces with famous politicians.)

Circle V just got back from visiting the city, and had a very interesting story to tell.

I don't want to compare the two cities because I just don't know enough about N.Y.C. to form a structured opinion. I love where I live and everything about D.C., so in no way will I betray my hometown. But, this visit to N.Y.C. also means a lot to me, because I might just live there one day.


Since I am only there for a few days, I'd love some advice on where to spend my time (when I am not working.) I promise to come back with a full report and plenty of exciting stories to tell!

10 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger DC Girls said...

When you go to NYC check out Bungalow 8, Show and Plaid if you get the chance. And don't expect much sleep.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Underused said...

The chinatown bus, huh? Godspeed.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People in D.C. party at clubs til wee hours of the morning too. Seems like you don't know the D.C. social scene very well.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

I didn't say we didn't, anon. I've had plenty of late DC nights, I've just heard NY does as well. A lot of clubs there are also open later than many here in D.C. That doesn't mean I don't know a good party, or the social scene for that matter.
:-)
And underused, yes, the chinatown bus! It's going to be quite the experience ~ I can't wait!

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some advise: Dont buy any fake purse even if you do think its a good knock-off cause I will give you hell for it when I see you with it.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

That wasn't the direction of advice I was looking for. But, thanks?

(I remember watching an episode of TRL a few years ago and they tried to get Paris Hilton to decipher between a real a fake Louis Vuitton and even she mistook the fake one as being real.)

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger cuff said...

Just got back from NYC (spent a whole four hours there). Just stay the hell out of Times Square.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

Why?!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger V said...

Have a great time. The most fun I have had in NYC usually comes from lots of heavy drinking combined with random people and places. Keep yourself open to whatever and the city won't let you down!

Oh, and what Mass means (I think) is Times Square is very crowded and touristy so it's not the typical NYC scene, if you haen't seen it though def go.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger cuff said...

Yeah, V, that's what I mean. Of course, if you're into TGI Friday's and Olive Garden, you can find them in Times Square.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home