Thursday, June 30, 2005

Let's Play 'House'



Remember when you were little and had no responsibilities and just 'played' all day long? Ah, those were the days. No bills, no work, your only concern was that you had to be home by 3 o'clock for Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles. It was the life.

What are we doing now? We work insanely long hours, trying to depict our purpose in life, stress over bills, relationships, family. Life is just complicated. The days of selling lemonade for 10 cents a cup have been forgotten.

A friend and I had a thought recently. While some of our dear friends are engaged or in strong relationships and have their hearts set on starting a family and enjoying the blissful married life, others have become workoholics with no intention of starting a family, ever.

Then I thought back to when I was little. What was I doing? Playing house? No. I played 'business' and would own STOCK. Don't ask me how I knew about stock when I was little. I would make my little sister buy shares. Then I had the family newscast. I was the anchor and I made my little sister video tape me. I would give out special reports during family holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc.) Never once had I dreamed or played the part of being a mom and starting a family.

And here I am now, with no desire to either. Interesting.

Granted, I did have Barbie dolls and My Little Ponies. But these Barbies would own businesses and have affairs in a soap opera-like setting.

My point is that by what you 'played' when you were little, could you actually be choosing your destiny for your lifestyle? My friend and I never played the 'mommy' or acted 'married' while little, and are both single workoholics, with no intentions of having kids or even being married. My career is my main goal, and I understand it is for many. But, my career has ALWAYS been my goal, and I've never had intentions of settling with a husband and having kids, and I feel that I never will.

I am not saying marriage and a family is a bad thing. I think it is a beautiful way of life, but maybe not for everyone.

So, I am interested to know: is my theory that 'what you play is what you become' totally obscene? Or could I be onto something? Is what you play what you ultimately end up doing with your life?

What did you play?

5 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Elvis said...

As a little one, I played sports. We'd get home, toss the bags, and go play street football. Weekends were for baseball and soccer. Sports, to this day, is still part of life. As for jobs, I never worried about it. To this day, I don't worry about it. They want to get rid of me, it's cool. I'll cash out, go on safari.

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Mad1 said...

When I was a kid, I always remembered playing with all kinds of cars and the required GI joes, and watching Ducktales, those were the good days. I always loved how Scrooge McDuck always controlled everything and could just own everything, that hasn't played out in real life for me. But I still have those make it big dreams and still find myself around all types of cars 24-7. Things we do and how we play does effect what do when we grow up.. Bring back the good ole days!!!!

 
At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Kate said...

I used to love to play mommy and now I'm expecting. Goes to show!

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree. When I was little I constantly played house. One time I got all the dolls I could find and had a total of 18 "babies". It was a little manic playing with that many babies, so from then on out I cut back to 2. Now as I grow older that is how many kids I want, not 18 thank god.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Single in the City said...

i'm with you. i played "store" (which involved putting pricetags on everything i could get my hands on in the house while "checking out" with an adding machine) and had "shop" (involving my mother taking me to a wholesale store so i could buy things and mark them up to sell for profit) in my backyard instead of a lemonade stand. i learned how to spell my last name by practicing on old checks my mom gave me. and while i wouldn't turn down a sugar daddy if i also happened to be head over heels for him, i don't think i would ever be comfortable in a situation where i am dependent on a man for my financial well being. i think there may be some weight to your theory...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home