Wednesday, June 08, 2005

My new favorite bad celebrity baby name

Well, it used to be Apple.

But now it's Penn (from Penn & Teller) Jillette's baby name...

Penn and his wife named their new daughter Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette. Apparently he gave this poor child the name so that "
when she's pulled over for speeding she can say, `But officer, we're on the same side...My middle name is CrimeFighter.'"

I mean, I guess it could be cool - and you would always have a good story to tell and an interesting fact to share about yourself.

I understand the need to give unique names out to children these days, I've often wished for a more uncommon name myself. But to be as outlandish as to name your kids after fruit or like superheros? Come on now, you're just setting your child up to be ridiculed in later years.

What's next? Naming kids after colors? sports? feelings? Can you imagine having to introduce yourself - saying "Hi, my name is Orange" or "Hey there, I'm Pole Vault" or "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Anxiety" ???

Just something to think about...

7 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous cjt said...

Reminds me of Frank Zappa naming his daughter Moon Unit. She later legaly changed it to one less embarrasing; Beauty Heart.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

There you go again Sara. Got me thinking, and then, by the grace of God, I spot my pen on the desk and I'm thinking, "hey little fellah, I thought I lost you in the pile of paper." Yah, random thought right? Now you know how I feel when I read about people's random kid's names (confused and a little dirty).

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Sara said...

elvis, haha - you're definitely confusing me...

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

All I'm saying is, it's no good when people think they're being "super creative" and give their kids crazy names. Like "Scout". I mean, think of the confusion when you ask "are you a boy scout?" If there's no pause in there, everyone's confused.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

Now "Sara", I like. That's a name. I mean, it just rolls off your tongue as if you were saying "another beer barkeep." It's solid. Bona Fide. Good to go.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Sara said...

thanks elvis! :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Haha it's true, uniqueness is not always best. I know a couple who named their son, Champe (wife's maiden name)...it's prounounced with the "e" silent (like sports champ)...but even so. Can you imagine that poor kid? He'll be called Champ-e his whole life. Plus, I think it kind of sounds more like a name you would give a yellow lab, not a child. But, that's just me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home