Monday, June 13, 2005

Nats, Cell Phones, and Rude Rude Men

I've been meaning to write this post since last week but have been extremely busy, sorry for the delay!

Last Tuesday I attended a Nationals game with a close girlfriend. We had great seats and were enjoying ice cream, nachos, hot dogs, and beer, cheering along with the crowd. (In case you've been on another planet, the Nats are in first place right now.)

We even made a debut on the giant TV screen with Screech the mascot. It was the ultimate baseball game experience. My friend ran into her neighbors and some other people we knew, along with one of her sister's friends. Excited, she called her sister to let her know she saw someone she knew. Suddenly, a heavy set middle aged man sitting next to her tapped her and rudely said: "Excuse me, but if you are going to talk on your phone, move over!"

The conversation followed as this:

(My friend got up and took the next seat over and finished up her short conversation with her sister.)
Friend (to man): Excuse me sir, if you don't want to deal with cell phones, don't go out in public.
Man: F*ck you, b*tch!
Friend: You're a real class act, a true gentleman.
Man: No, I'm not.
(The man huffed and puffed and gave us the evil eye for the remainder of the time. Next thing we know, the guy behind us gets out his cell phone and starts screaming into it right behind Mr. Grumpy Cell Phone Hater just to piss him off.)

Summarize this story as you will. I know it was not only a question of cell phone ethics, but also of manners. I was appalled that an older man would speak to a young woman in such a horrible tone. And what made it worse, was that this man was with his girlfriend/wife/sister who just sat and didn't say anything at all. If that we're my boyfriend, I'd slap him across the face!


Where and when you talk on your cell phone is also a controversial and mannered issue. Where wouldn't I talk on mine? At work, on the metro in the mornings, while I am out to dinner with friends/family. A baseball game? Having a short conversation on the phone should be the least of Mr. Grumpy Cell Phone Hater's problems, when there are drunk fans all around him screaming and spilling beer.

As today's Washington's Post calls it, we're in a giant lovefest with our Nats. We are also in a very public place, where the only rule is that people cannot smoke in the stadium. So when the Nat's score their next home run, feel free to dial up your best buddy and let him/her know we are still in first place!

As for the cell phone haters, there is a time and place for everything. Speaking on a cell phone in public at a baseball game is a-okay in my book. Yet, had he asked nicely without the name calling, my friend would have politely complied.

The Nat's are still winning and that one phone call didn't stop anyone from having a great time.

18 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldnt want to listen to some girls conversation either but I think your friend started it when she made the first comment back. Baseball games are loud so to hear and have a conversation on a phone is hard and Im sure your friend was yelling which would be annoying to sit next to.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

"If that we're my boyfriend, I'd slap him across the face!"

Sounds like he would've hit you back. Probably the same reason his "girlfriend/wife/sister" didn't say anything.

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another reason why women and sports do not mix.

Alas -- what must one expect from a self proclaimed "diva"

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. And then the man would have gone to jail. Which is where he belongs anyway with a mouth and attitude like that.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

I happen to love sports and mix exceptionally well with them, thank you :-) I am a devoted Redskins and Nationals fan and this post has NOTHING to do with us "not" mixing. Soooo sexist! I have seen plenty of MEN talk on cell phones at various sporting events, including the one mentioned in the post. :-) :-)

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you love sports so much, how come you and your friend fucked up and declared Danica Patrick a NASCAR driver? Remember that little fuck up? Seems to me that someone who loved sports would avoid that kind of careless fuck up. You fucked up, bad, and you know it.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

I'm glad you are back and still reading, Mr. Rude Anon. I missed you! Much love xo

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon: How does the McLaughlin Group feel about you blogging/commenting while at work? Maybe we should let them know.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Lauren said...

WOW what a horrible sexist comment...you know we live in the year 2005 and not the 1800's right? Women these days love sports, some more than alot of men.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I was that guy I would have poured my beer on her.

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haters are unbelievable, really. Women and sports don't mix? Pouring beer on girls for talking? Get over yourselves.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Friend (to man): Excuse me sir, if you don't want to deal with cell phones, don't go out in public."

The scene was over but with this comment how did she expect the guy to react? Any normal guy would have gotten pissed. was she trying to punish him?

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

He yelled at her in the most rude and unacceptable manner. And no, he wasn't yelling so she could hear him. It was one of those situations where the tone of voice said it all. And she was on her phone for less than ONE minute. Five minutes before that Screech the mascot was blocking his view of the field and he didn't say a damn thing.

We can analyze and nit pick at this situation until our faces turn blue, my point was that no woman deserves to be talked to in that way, and nothing she did ruined the experience of the game.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Rock Creek Rambler said...

"Friend (to man): Excuse me sir, if you don't want to deal with cell phones, don't go out in public."

There are a lot of "public" places where cell phones are inappropriate, e.g. restaurants, movie theaters, cemetaries. Not that I'm defending the guy - I'm just saying something a little snarkier would been better, like "Don't worry guy, the stray microwaves aren't going to make your balls shrink - I doubt they could get much smaller." Or something to that effect. And fyi, my girlfriend knows way more about baseball than I do.

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless someone is screaming into their cell phone, what difference does it make if the conversation is on a phone or with your friend next to you. If someone were yelling loudly to their friend next to them, I would ask them to quiet down. If it's a regular conversation, regardless of whether it's in person or on the phone, who cares.

And to say that someone calling Danica a Nascar driver is "fucking up bad", wow, you really have your priorities out of whack. I think driving drunk and wrecking your friend's car would be closer to "fucking up bad" than making a mistake about who drives Nascar or not.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I would have been there as boyfriend , husband or even just a guy friend, fat boy would have been eating some teeth real quick after his last remark. And seeing how this would lead to being on TV and jail later I would have insured a fat ass kicking to be remembered.

Attractive behavior yes?

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she deserved the rude because drunk girls on the phone are so loud and annoying I bet she didnt even realize it.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

She had one beer. Way below legal limit and def. not drunk. If anyone was, it was him.

She was defending herself because she felt she committed no crime that deserved to be repremanded and spoken to in the way she was.

Like I said, had he been polite about it, the situation would have come out differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home