Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sassy Shoes



I have a pet peeve to share. I could write about bad drivers. Or how the Honda dealership has had my baby for a week and I'm stuck with this enormous deathtrap on wheels (aka an old ass, gas-guzzling Explorer). Or even how it costs more for me to get a salad for lunch than a damn burrito.

But no, this is much worse. I'm afraid to walk around my office. It's pretty quiet around here being that a lot of people are on vacation and that I work with computer programmers (who sit and code with headphones on). Then here I come, a burst of sunshine in my colorful skirt and bright turquoise top...I'm cute today and I know it...but...

...my sandals make noise. That flip flopping noise, the slap against the feet. To make it worse, these aren't flip flops either, they are heels. It's even worse going up and down stairs. In order to make the sound stop I have to consciously
step and do so slowly, not the most effective way to get around.

It sounds dumb, but I don't like it, it's embarrassing. I feel like everyone is watching me clip-clop around the office and instead of thinking "oh, she looks cute today" (being that I usually don't look 100% at work since I am not a morning person) or even thinking nothing at all about me walking by - they are thinking "how annoying I can hear her coming a mile away."

What's a girl to do?

Should I forgo fashion for some silent shoes? Or should I suck it up and proudly strut with a sound effect?

Do guys really notice that annoying flip-flop? Or am I being paranoid? Am I missing some secret to walking sexy and not being self-conscious about the sound?

I think I'll sit at my desk as much as I can today. So depressing.

6 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you worrying about this? You said everyone wears headphones. Who's going to hear you?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Yeah I know, I thought about that after - but not EVERYONE wears them ALL day. Plus, it's more the principle of it, and for those times when I'm around people who don't have the headphones. The sound is not discriminatory to who is listening. Much like, if a tree falls in the forest but nobody is there to hear it - does it make a sound? Haha.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Texas Cutie said...

Fashion first. I love my shoes. The sound of an awesome pair of shoes is completely acceptable...unless, it's the sound of dragging your feet. The flip-flop sound is great and will hopefully draw the attention and complements that your shoes deserve.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger dpnation.net said...

i vote shoes. and this is coming from a rare commodity - i am a [female] news webmaster (i guess that technically makes me computer nerd) with a serious shoe/general shopping problem.
you can bet if something comes in seersucker, i own it. just be glad you aren't like the poor souls behind their computers who don't appreciate nice kicks when they see (or hear) it.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger AMS said...

Shoes must come first! Maybe you could walk a little slower and it wouldn't be as bad.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Single in the City said...

helloooo! the shoes announce your cuteness before you enter the room! wear the keds when you don't as groovy and don't want to announce your arrival. but if you're lookin' good, why tiptoe around?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home