Thursday, June 09, 2005

What Attracts The Butterflies?



An article in the NY Post today lifted my brows and made me wonder: Do all women look for the same features in a man? Here is what the article had to say:

"Women have weighed in on what makes a man look sexy - and while jeans, a clean-shaven face and chest hair are hot, leather pants, comb-overs and sandals are not. Cargo magazine quizzed 866 women on what they look for in a guy, and they had very strong opinions about the way men dress and groom themselves. The jeans and T-shirt look is way in, with 58 percent saying it's the sexiest outfit men can wear. Another 19 percent say a hip shirt and pants are what turns them on, while another 17 percent insist a suit and tie is the bomb. Leather pants? Ugh! Ninety-two percent say they're best left to rock stars."

So I wanted to see where the butterflies fit into this equation. I asked Sara and Asian Mistress to contribute what their standards were when it comes to being attracted to a man. Here is how it all added up:

Sara's ideal man:

No facial hair.
Taller than me.
Nice body, but not bulky with muscles... A toned body work wonders for me. A nice back makes this butterfly's heart flutter!
I love a hottie in a suit and/or dressed up in a button down.
But I also love my man to look relaxed in just jeans & a worn in surf tee.
Not heavy on the jewelry.
I'm partial to darker hair - but as long as you have hair and know how it suits you best, i'll work with it ;)
And I'm a sucker for pretty eyes... but I think most girls are too.
Oh, and he has to smell good :)


Asian Mistress:
6ft. tall and above.
Broad shoulders.
Nice hands (maybe I'm weird, but, would you want someone with grubby fingers touching you? No.)
I go for short hair and clean shaven (though a little five o'clock shadow is acceptable sometimes.)
Slender with muscles (no LL Cool J is necessary, but a little Justin Timberlake will do the trick)
Dress it up in a Banana or J Crew sweater or button down with some Diesel jeans...or spend a rainy day in a t-shirt and sweats...either way makes me sweat!
The most attractive thing about any man though, is one who cares about his girl and shows a little consideration. As the gentlemen of CPMC can attest, it doesn't take much to say, hold a door for a lady or offer an umbrella - but it will create a lasting impression.


Lil DC Diva:

Tall. Taller than me. I'm 5'6.
In good physcial condition. I like a guy who takes good care of himself health-wise. I would love to have someone to work out with too. Oh, and I like muscles.
No earrings. No tattoos. Body decor and jewelry is a turn-off for me.
Short hair. I almost like the crew cut, almost. I like a little spike as well.
I am a sucker for tall, dark, and handsome. Brown hair, brown eyes. Never really been into blondes.
I love dark, mysterious eyes. To me it's like there is more to figure out about them.
Guys in suits. There is just something about the power suit that makes me melt. Especially if they are tall, dark, handsome, muscular, IN a power suit. HOT.
I like a bit of chest hair, but a clean shaven face and good hygenine. MUST smell nice. I love cologne.

Okay. So half of you are probably scorning us in disgust. Too picky. Shallow. Bratty. High-matience. Well you know what? My mother always said that physical attraction is key to holding a relationship together. We all have our certain perferences, but of course, are willing to look past them as well. Who knows? I might just end up marrying a tattooed infested, earring wearing, skinny guy with a mohawk. Preferences change and we fall for many other reasons outside looks. But for now, these seem perfectly reasonable and fitting.

14 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a nice, hairy back?

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Sara said...

nope... you'd have to wax that immediately ;)

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

me llamo maquina de amor!!!

:D

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Love machine, huh?

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like lil dc diva wouldnt mind the hairy back since she like it on the chest.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Natty G said...

Sorry, anonymous, I don't speak Latin. ;)

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

hah! I said a LITTLE chest hair is fine. Did I say back? No. :-)

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This raises an interesting question, ladies. What if a man had everything you are respectively looking for in your lists, plus a dynamite & caring personality, but was hairy in some of the wrong places? Would that really be a deal breaker (assuming waxing is out of the question)?

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure if you're packing heat, a hairy back can be overlooked.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Of course a few errant hairs could be overlooked if other areas of our criteria were met (including personality, etc...) ;)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

Like I said in the post, "We all have our certain perferences, but of course, are willing to look past them as well."

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm sure exceptions would be made for those packing heat, or possessing extraordinary oral skills...

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am willling to look past a lot but not hair. I think hair is the grossest thing about a guy and there are numerous spots where it should not be. Hiar alone would turn me away.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Single in the City said...

nothing wrong with making a little wish list for what you're looking for in mr. right. i doubt we could ever be as shallow as most boys who are NEVER satisfied (hey jude, brad, i'm looking at YOU). i think there's definitely some truth to the whole "people get more/less attractive as you get to know them better" theory. with so many people in this world, mother nature has to help us out with the screening process somehow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home