Sunday, June 19, 2005

What's in A Name?

You know you've done it before. You know, attach a nickname to a person. In this world of on again off again affairs and flirtations that are often too fast to remember, we have resorted to naming our partners with a quick reference rather than a legally given name. Brown boy, Preppy boy, Republican boy, boy from Local 16, boy who works on the Hill, boy with the BMW - or, for our gentleman readers it could be something like Drunk girl, Girl with the cute friend, Hot chick from marketing or even just "that girl with the nice rack."

What brings me to this revelation is a conversation I was having with a friend tonight. She was trying to jog my memory about a certain encounter she had a few weeks ago - to update me on the situation, and I could not remember which boy she was talking about (as she has been on several dates lately). Finally it all came clear to me and I said, "oh! the worst kisser ever!"

Now, what poor boy has been branded this? I believe I should quote her to tell the tale: "We were in a group, we went from bar to bar, and at one point he just kissed me. It was fine then. We ended up walking off away from the group later that night and he kissed me again. Only this time, not so good. Seriously, he was the worst kisser ever. How did it happen? How could I not have known before? I can't even describe how awful it was. How do you get to be 25 and be that bad? I was mortified. I just wanted to get out of there but there was no way out."

How do you forget a story like that? And there is no way I would remember his real name, nor was there a need to since she would probably never see him again, so we just started calling him the "worst kisser ever."

This "nickname" thing, is it more seventh grade or is it more Sex & the City? In our younger years, we made up nicknames to talk in the lunchroom about our current crushes so nobody knew who we were talking about; in the more sophisticated Sex & the City years, the fabulous four came up with names like "Funky Spunk" or of course the most important, Mr. Big.

Either way, it's fun. And perhaps the only way to attempt to keep straight the many men (and women) that may cycle in and out of our lives. It doesn't even have to be someone in a dating category, it can be a friend that you are branding. Steve from school with the motorcycle or Brad from work who went to Tech...it doesn't matter what it is, there is always some association there and a frame of reference with whatever friend you may be sharing a story with.

We meet so many people and have had so many different experiences, that it becomes almost necessary to attach a description with a name (if they are even lucky enough to get a name too). So, is it time to grow up and ditch the nicknaming? Or is it just part of living (and dating) in this fast-paced, here today, gone tomorrow world?


As for my friend's unforunate experience? My heart goes out to you, anonoymous man. But it's too late, you will always be known as "worst kisser ever" boy. Better luck next time.

8 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I LOVE coming up with nicknames... I only drop them from the boys if things get serious...

And as for the worst kisser ever... A guy I dated last summer literally ate my face when we made out for the first time - seriously, I broke out in a rash from my cheeks to my chin... It was AWFUL! And now, the poor boy is remembered more for that than for anything else...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Cleveland Park Men's Club said...

Nicknames are given. Never chosen by the one who gets named.

We had a recent member try to change his nickname. He sounded like a bigger doofus than he had already been w/ his current nickname. We made him cry.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, plagiarize much? http://kathrynon.blogspot.com/2005/06/nickname.html

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That has nothing to do with plagerizing. People give nicknames all the time and this just shows its a popular thing to do. Asian Mistress didn't use anything from that blog you are accusing her of. I have nickname conversations all the time, does that mean I'm plagerizing too?

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger The Brunette said...

Feh. Don't let the haters get you down.

For blogging purposes, we use nicknames to protect the innocent (and guilty)...but the names sometimes exist in real life too...

But usually (because there are people with many of the same first names), among friends, we use an adjective and then a first name.

Like: "Ah, I went for drinks with Hot Jeff and then suddenly, Cuddly Andrew called". This jogs the memory.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I agree with anon and don't see how mine is plagerizing (and I apologize to Kathryn if she thinks it is) - especially because I did not list my various nicknames of who I talk about personally - mine was more of a general observation of the phenomenon that apparently everyone does. But, hate on haters.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I am def. not a hater, though I appreciate someone defending my honor. I don't think our posts are similar - just similar topics in very close proximity. No bigs, room for everyone out here!!

Hope to see anyone and everyone at Live Blog '05.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Natty G said...

I definitely approve of the use of nicknames, regardless of your age.

My favorite nicknames are still the ones we handed out to random kids in HS, all revolving around animals. The anteater, the giraffe, the bear, etc. Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home