Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Wild World Of Dating

Online dating: No, I've never tried it and don't plan on it. (I'm currently dating someone.) My mom is a frequent user of Match.com and has more of a dating social life than anyone I know. It works for some, but not for all. Same goes for E Harmony.

Online dating has become less of a taboo trend and more of a legitimate one, in terms of finding a fun person to date and share simliar interests with.

But, I have observed that online dating just doesn't catch with the twenty-something/early thirty age group. And why not? Here we are complaining that it's so hard to find someone to date, when the door to dating is literally right at our fingertips (i.e. - the keyboard!)

Maybe it's the fact that we don't need a method to date people. Us twenty-somethings are socially capable to go out and meet people and use our judgement on whether or not we'd like to see that person again.

It's also the fact that the older people are, the less they have time to go out and socialize like us young Washingtonians do. They have their jobs, possible kids, and other distractions that keep them away from a night out at the bars.

Then again, the bars aren't exactly the best place to meet a potentional mate, either. And work is very much a taboo place to pursue a relationship.


So, where then?

Fear not, all you love sick puppies. There is technically no right or wrong place to meet someone. Be it online, a bar, work, through friends or family, who is to tell you where you can or can't find someone to date?

There is a distinct line between taboo and unethical - so if you find love in the right places and for the right reasons, there is no law that will stop you. (Unless the other participating party is underage, married, or a family member - EW.)

Ah, love, so complicated, yet so worth it in the end.




9 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried online dating, but I can imagine why it works: you can immediately weed out people who have character traits/goals that you're not interested in, thereby saving yourself the $20 you just spent on drinks at the bar, and the 20 mins it took you to realize that you have nothing in common with this person.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger hotwheelz said...

Personally, I just stick to the Russian bride sites or adultfriendfinder.com. It's cheaper and they don't speak English.

But, if you are interested take a look at this article. It finds men are more likely to be more committed to their online partners than women.

The average age demographic of online dating site users is around mid-30s.

Of course, my parents always said you don't want to marry somebody you meet in a bar and that I should try church.

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Met my current gf through another girl who had asked me out last winter. Odd when I think about it since I really didn't forsee myself as happy as I ended up. Throw a bbq and invite the girls you know or guys and then ask the said invitees to bring a bunch of their friends you don't know. By far the easiest and most comfortable way.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

oooooooooohhhhh... Match.com with a "c". Right... Right... Right... I was wondering why dates from math.com were so boring. All that talk on dates about trigonometry and integrals, I was saying, "I can't fucking take this anymore... I don't know what everyone is talking about."

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger AMS said...

I don't think there is any singluar good place to meet singles - if anyone has any suggestins that dont involve online dating please send them on as Im trying to find a girlfriend for one of my colleagues at the mo.

The reason I say no to OD is that there is a troll in work who is constantly on dating sites flirting - I think the guys would top themselves if they met her in real life.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger AMS said...

*suggestions*

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

The idea of throwing a BBQ with mutual friends and inviting some "outside" friends is a great idea.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger AMS said...

Yeah too much effort though and I have no back garden or bbq!

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Smooth Operator said...

Hello, I just want to say what an excellent blog you have. If your readers are interested, I maintain a list of resources relating to dating and online dating sites. Just visit the following web site.
online dating

 

Post a Comment

<< Home