Thursday, July 28, 2005

B.A. Meetings


Hi. My name is Sara and I'm a blogoholic.

Does anyone else feel like there should be Bloggers Anonymous meetings? (Well, not that they'd be that anonymous, considering there are pictures up of all of us everywhere...)

Because, honestly, I think I have a problem. All day at work I'm either blogging or reading blogs. I read the blogs I link to and sometimes even the blogs that they link to. And after that, I'm all over the celebrity blogs all day long.

Some people only post once a day. We post multiple times. 1) Because we have a lot to say. 2) For people (like me) who read and re-read and love to see new posts upon checking back. It's like a drug addiction. Will it wear off? Perhaps, I know some bloggers get bored, and some stop doing it... But we've been up and running for over 5 months now and I certainly don't see an end in sight.

And also, is blogging still slightly taboo? Yesterday, at the St. Ex Happy Hour, I waited for quite a while (ahem, ahem) for everyone to show up. Luckily, I happened to sit down next to a very nice (and cute) boy who kept me entertained. I did not mention the blog. Yet, coincidentally, some of his friends knew some of the bloggers that I now know. So the question of how our friends knew each other was inevitable - and out came the fact that I have a blog. I was a little embarassed... hence the 'is blogging taboo' question.

But I was thinking about it later last night, and I don't really think that blogging is as taboo as it used to be. And plus, I love to write and have so much fun updating the site with my silly little rants and opinions that I am not embarassed about it at all. Certainly some people think it's stupid (aka my ex) but for the most part, all of my friends think it's funny and are regular readers. And based on the comments we get, and the stats from sitemeter, there are lots of other people who like to read blogs as well.

I mean, blogs are now regularly quoted and mentioned in the papers and even Cosmopolitan magazine has changed it's dating section to a "Bedroom Blog" section. Plus, Webster's Dictionary has acknowledged blogging.

So that about sums it up... Blogging - it's so hot right now ;-)

15 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Tasha said...

I think I would be a member of B.A. too. I had heard of blogs but did not think much about it. Then I remember you kept telling me to read The Butterfly Network. After a while, I finally read it and I loved reading what you ladies had to say and what people said about your posts.

So then I decided to start my own. Now I am constantly reading other blogs that the blogs I read are linked to also. It really is an addiction. I find myself (while out of the house) coming up with things I could post about. I am still fairly new at this(hence I just started blogging a few weeks ago) so my posts aren't as good as B.N., CitySparkle, CrazyGirlCity, etc. Hopefully I will get there soon!

And I know what you mean about there being a taboo on blogging. I told my friends I have one and they sort of like at me like "what are u talking about??" But I am sure if they sat down and read some they would be addicted too!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Yeah, I'm hooked...
Blogging is the new Friday I think...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I'm hooked. There's no getting around it. Now.. this happy hour thing.. I don't believe I have a game Wednesday...

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

it IS the new Friday. I'll drink to that. ha!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

1. You were downstairs, we were upstairs. Sh!t happens.

2. My name is Kathryn, and I am also a blogaholic.

3. At the dinner party, my companion and I told everyone we were at an "aspiring writers" happy hour.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous holiday said...

My friend in New York commented that no one is really into the blog scene. The whole social diary/blog thing is much more tied to DC, because politics is so tuned in with blogs. I don't follow too many blogs outside of DC, so I'm not sure.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger DC Princess said...

Just started about a week ago and i am addicted...its my day drug...once my eyes get tired from readin the screen i take a smoke break (where im thinkin about what to blog) and return to the same position to read blogs...

i was thinkin it was because i was new to bloggin and it would die down but it seems like it will only get worse...I am glad i am not alone though

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger V said...

Yeah, I have a problem, too. It's just so much more interesting than work.
It's hard because you start to know people, and you want to know what's going on with them and the topics are often very sexy so hello, who would be an addicit. The shits like crack (I would assume).

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Scot in DC said...

I pray everyday that my bosses dont check my cookies and history. I try to open sites that are work related throughout the day, just so they dont think I spend all my time reading people's blogs...

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

Yeah, I've been blogging for an entire year now(live journal before that) and I still love it.

I actually started out using my blog as an outlet for a lot of crap I was going through at the time.....not to interact with others. However, stuff caught on and I got an audience of my own. I love interacting with people on here now! I've kind of changed up what I write too......its not AS personal(although the old stuff is still out there).

I'll admit, I was a little weary of the blog meet last week and going up to ask if it was the blog meet. I didn't want someone to think I was a weirdo. However, for the most part, I have no issues with telling people about my blogging addiction!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I prefer to think of it as "journalism" and "networking."

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Underused said...

Hey, I just Bring Love On-line Guys. That's all I'm talkin'bout.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Thanks Tasha - I read your blog! :)

It is addicting.

However I was thinking...how is blogging any different (and duh, better) than say - a LiveJournal?

Other than the fact that we are all obviously so fucking cool.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger grkdivva said...

gettin there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home