Monday, July 25, 2005

You know she's 19 if...

My friend Brianne was in town this weekend. On Friday night we went to a friend's house party (and got to hang out with Lil on her last night here! Miss that chick tons already...). It was low key, which was good because that was just the type of night that we were in the mood for.

Upon arrival, however, and while making the rounds of introductions, I noticed a plethora of girls that I'd never seen before. All these cute little things who giggled while giving their names. I couldn't quite figure out why I'd never met them before, because I go out with my friends quite a bit and had never once seen these girls.

Making conversation, I asked one where she went to school and when she would graduate. She smiled and told me that she graduated in 2004. I wondered how she could have graduated my year when she certainly didn't look my age... and then it hit me. She was talking about her HIGH SCHOOL graduation date. She was 19. The plethora of girls hanging out with my guy friends was really a group of 18 & 19 year olds... Hence my never having seen them out at a bar before. They weren't old enough to get in.

Considering that my friends and I are all 5-6 years these girls' seniors, I wanted to laugh at my guy friends. And I did, of course. But I was careful to be nice to the girls because, I can not lie, I used to be one of them. When I was 19, my friends and I definitely hung out with 23/24 year olds guys. It was fun and we certainly felt cool. But the older girls were not so nice to us.

Looking back I realize that it was actually ridiculous for these guys to hang out with us because our maturity levels were so different. The mean older girls must have realized this. (No matter how mature us 19 year olds may have acted, there was certainly a HUGE maturity difference between us and the college graduates that we were hanging out with.)

That is neither here nor there, however. My point, actually, is that there were certain characteristics that Bri & I noticed through out the night that really helped us to pinpoint the 19 year olds from the college grads. These characteristics are as follows...


You know she's 19 if:

  1. she feels that it is acceptable to make out with boys, heavily - tongues out and all, in front of anyone and everyone at a party. (ok, ok I can't pretend I haven't done this since age 19... BUT never with my tongue out, and at a bar, not a party)
  2. she laughs hysterically at everything you say, if you're an older girl (ie. the age of the guys that they're hanging out with) even if it's not that funny. (I tested this theory, and proved it.)
  3. she wears short skirts that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination when sitting down... actually they leave nothing to the imagination when standing up either.
  4. her friend is dating an older guy, then she is certainly hooking up with one of his friends... because 19 year olds stick together.
  5. while talking to the (older) object of her affection, her voice raises a couple octaves into a laughing screeching sound.

OK, I know there were more... but I can not remember and I can't get in touch with Bri to help me think of them. Feel free to add on...

And of course, to any indignant 19 year olds (if any) reading this, try not to be too offended by the list... don't forget, I used to be there myself - and don't worry because you will grow out of it and look back and laugh... Now put your mini, mini skirt on, gather your girls and go find an 23 year old to make out with in a crowded restaurant ;-)

19 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous bk said...

STRONG ARTICLE. SO TRUE! I think even if I was single I couldn't date a 19 year old, maybe 20 though.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous bk said...

The cool thing about the 20 year old is that if you need some space you just say, "I'm sorry I can't hang out, I promised by friends I'd meet them at this bar". HAHA

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so are you jealous that these 19 year olds got the attention from your guy friends? sounds like it

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Sara said...

anon. I'm not jealous :-) The post would have been written quite differently had I been. Please note that I said that my guy friends are hanging out with 190 year olds. I love my guy friends, but am not interested in them romantically, so why would I be jealous? I get all the attention that I need from them, regardless of whatever girls come and go.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Sara said...

19 not 190...

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger cuff said...

Did you get any pictures? Especially to illustrate point #3.

Just joking. I could be their father if I'd been less responsible in high school.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Adam said...

I got on a 19yo at at July 4th party and did the whole making out in front of everyone...

The thing about the young ones, is that they are a) naiive, b) full of fun and c) don't have any inhibitions becuase most can't hold their booze...

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

I use the term "underage" not to describe someone under 18, but someone under 21. I'm 24 and even now would not easily entertain the idea of getting involved with someone underage - for various reasons that are maturity and social activity related. I know the type very well, you're dead on as always.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

Sara,

You had requested this somewhere else, this was the best description I could find.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000753022006/

And lay off the sunglasses at night. It's cool, at least for pictures. I will not argue this point any further.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger RHB said...

what's the difference between a 19 y/o and a washing machine?

Insert inappropriate punchline here __________

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger The Committed One said...

You are completely right on in this post! I know guys who are 30+ that still date 19 yr olds ... what is that about? What do they possibly talk about while out together ... or do they just make out? (and I get that it is totally not about jealousy, it is more curiosity and shock than anything else - lol)

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

This is going to confuse everyone having this discussion across two blogs, but whatever, it'll generate more traffic.

I'm going to object to your "guys who are trying too hard" statement. I personally have been dating the same girl for 2-1/2 years, so I'm not really looking to impress anyone when I go out.

Perhaps however, it's time to come completely honest. You see, I'm blind, and I need those sunglasses to fit the image. I also manage to play soccer despite this lack of sight.

Or it could be that I wear them for pictures only. And you're damn right it's okay. Despite getting a normal amount of sleep every night, my eyes often have the appearance that I was just punched in the face. I'm not sure why, but I'll make a deal with you. You explain to me some way to correct the problem, and I'll stop wearing sunglasses during pictures.

It has to be a somewhat manly way, however, I won't wear eyemasks or anything like that.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

El capitan - It wasn't so much the sunglasses during pictures, as the sunglasses at NIGHT in BARS...you're still OK. I think.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to be a 19 year old girl to make out with a guy in a crowded restaurant Sara. Haha. If I recall you were 23 when you and I did that a couple times ;). I guess I just bring out the 19 year old in ya. Muah! Great post, though. There is most definitely a noticable difference between the maturity of a 19 and 23/24 year old girl. Keep em comin.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

AsianMistress, obviously, you and Sara are just discriminating against blind soccer players. The injustice of all this breaks my heart.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Sara said...

anon, i know who you are ;-) i suppose i'll have to ammend my post slightly...

captain - no discriminating against blind soccer players here, i promise!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Sara said...

*amend

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger VP of Dior said...

Also, these 19 yr olds' musical tastes cannot rise beyond Simple Plan or Lil Bow Wow. someone needs to set them down and play Physical Graffiti on repeat.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Robin said...

My brother will be 29 in a few months and recently broke it off with his 24yo fiance. One drunk night he tells me he wants to find a young thing to date. To me 24 was "young" especially for him, BUT it just proves that guys want to sure thing that doesn't require a lot of time or effort.

I mean, at 19 I had NO intentions of settling down or getting married...now in my late 20's it is a whole other ball of wax.

Those pretty little young things - they too shall learn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home