Monday, August 01, 2005

Homeless or Ivy League? How about in the middle!

So I survived my first week in NYC. There are begging homeless people everywhere. On the streets. On the subway. I think homeless people account for half of the NYC population. They hang outside my place, even on my steps, as if they are the ones that live there. I actually feel bad for not feeling sorry for them, if that makes sense. After a long day of work, the LAST thing I need is someone begging me for money just so they can get their latest heroin fix for the evening, after I slaved away at work just so I could survive in this so-called overpriced city. Whew, anyway, glad I got that off my chest. Moving on.

One difference I have come to notice are the mannerisms in the male kind here, especially when I am going out for the evening. In D.C., I feel that guys just grope and grind girls at their own will, without even asking their name. The lack of respect for women in a bar is apparent in my eyes, after being touched from my shoulder to waist to ass all while trying to buy myself a damn cranberry and vodka. But in NYC, I have found a different annoyance in the men. Sure, unwanted groping happens everywhere, not just DC, but less in NYC than DC, or so I have found.

The guys here actually try to make conversation with you. And not once, NOT ONCE, have I been asked the SIGNATURE DC question: "So, what do you do?" Instead, its been more of 'hey, we're all out to have a good time and leave it at that.' I love this attitude.

But not too much attitude.

While out with the girls on Saturday night at Joshua Tree (after we left Bed,) a decently attractive young man sparked up a conversation with me. Come to find out, he went to school with a friend of mine, and not just any school - Harvard. After he revealed to me where he went to school, I felt a sudden change come about. I actually felt uncomfortable, not on my part, but the way he was making me feel - the "I went to an Ivy League school attitude." And not a good attitude. An overly-confident, cocky, I'm better than you attutitude that made my stomach cringe. Suddenly this young man became unattractive and rude, so I went with it. I flat out told him he was strange. He tilted is head back and laughed, the little cock.

I left and he proceeded to hit on the next girl that was appealling to his eye. I mean, why not? He had every right to, after all, he IS a Harvard grad. Pfff. Funny while being a graduate from such a prestigious school, I've never had more of an uninteresting and unenlightening conversation than I did with this guy.

I hope this doesn't speak for all Ivy League grads, and I am sure it doesn't. But if you did go Ivy League, congrats, and now please get your head out of the clouds and join the rest of society on planet earth, where we are all grads from various schools and are just as interesting and intelligent as you think you are. Cheers!

12 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

You rock. New to city, walkin the beat like it was yours. Sweet. On the other thing... yah, you're in a radically new world. There are all kinds in NYC. I dig it, but it's also unsettling. Same experience almost. I've met those who toss down an ante; "So my buddy from Cambridge, where I got my MBA, tells me we can dump two and half [million shares of some stock] and run with the money." That's uncomfortable cause they are essentially saying, "can you ante up?" And I've met really cool people who are just into being. That's good stuff. The other, like you, I can do without.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never got asked, "So what do you do?" Wow. I've been to Manhattan on various occasions within the last year, and when I go out to bars/clubs that's precisely what they ask. I'm a guy, and I mainly heard that question from women, within the first minute of the conversation.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

I left and he proceeded to hit on the next girl that was appealling to his eye. I mean, why not? He had every right to, after all, he IS a Harvard grad.

You blew him off, he went elsewhere. That's to be expected, isn't it? Should he have gone home and cried quietly into the wee hours or something?

I've asked people what they do in bars before, but only because it's interesting to me. There are tons of interesting jobs in the district and there shouldn't be a stigma with asking what others' is. It isn't implicitly a pissing contest. Asking salary, now that would be tacky.

Anyway, glad to hear you're having a good time :-)

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Touche, AUA... a very valid point

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think no matter what city your in, people will ask, "So what do you do?" It seems to be just a conversation starter. I don;t think it's any different than when people use to ask, "So, where do you go to school? when back in college. However, if people start asking about your salary then that's another story..

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I asked a guy that I met what he did in NYC. I didn't ask to try to size him up or anything like that, he mentioned living in the city for a break from work... so it led right into my question.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous rcr said...

Someone told me that "What's the name of your blog" is totally the new "What do you do."

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

lol

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how did B.E.D. compare to the likes of 1223 and Cloud?

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in NYC this weekend for a Yankees game and there was a homeless guy outside the stadium begging for money with a cardboard sign that read, "Who am I kidding, I could really use a beer." I thought it was funny (yet sad) in a way. They are all over the city.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Sara said...

A detailed NYC weekend post, including BED details coming soon :-)

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why must you project your insecurities on to this fellow?

you're a snotty little thing, aren't you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home