Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Martinis are like breasts

So this past weekend my friend Lauren and I went to visit Lil in NYC. Oh man. I am IN LOVE with the city. I am so in love in fact, that I am going to begin applying for jobs in NYC immediately. (Unless I'm offered this other job that I just interviewed for on Monday... that, however, is another story.)

Anyway, here is the weekend recap:

First of all, it took roughly 7 hours to get to the city. Lauren and I took the Chinatown bus, which (surprisingly) was fairly clean and not that bad at all. However, there was a suicide jumper on I-95, which meant the entire road was closed. 190,000 traveling cars were forced to take a one-lane detour through some part of Maryland. It sucked. A lot. We didn't get to NYC until, I'd say around 1:30 am. We didn't get to Lil's place until at least 2:15. But, while waiting to hail a cab, we met a DC United player and his girlfriend. The girlfriend was absolutely beautiful... The soccer player was one of hottest guys that I'd ever seen in my entire life. Looking through the roster online, I believe that it was Matt Nickell. But, I swear to you, the picture does not do him justice. He does not look like that. He's SO much better looking than his photograph lets on. (His hair is also very blonde now...)

As a quick side note, after looking through the DC United roster, I must say we have some HOT DC soccer players. Obviously I love the team anyway, being from DC and all. Plus, I know Clyde Simms (not well though, but well enough to know he's really nice) from ECU.

So Friday night was a movie night, because we got in so late and Lil had to work early on Saturday morning. But on Saturday, we did it all. We went down Canal Street (first photo is when from right after we left Canal Street) and shopped in SoHo... And basically went broke. I literally bought three pairs of sunglasses. Ridiculous. We stopped for a delicious lunch (& a much needed, ice cold beer) in Little Italy (second and third photos).

















After hours of walking/shopping/unnecessarily spending money we were exhausted. So, obviously, we were forced to go back to Lil's and lay down to watch 2 hours of Sex and the City.

Next up, nightlife NYC baby! For dinner, we walked across the street to a little Mexican place, Mama Mexico (picture of Lil & me). Good food, not-too-expensive Coronas... all and all a great time. A little mariachi band to set the Mexican mood...

And then we were off to Bed NY! It was amazing. You're supposed to have reservations. Woops. But we managed to get in because the bouncers thought we were cute (being female certainly has its perks). I watched tons of other groups get turned away. Especially groups with out reservations that had guys with them... It's not fair, but hey... it's how it is.

The bouncers let us through the door and we walked into this little hallway and they shut the door behind us. And all of the sudden we started going up - it was really an elevator! We got off, walked up some stairs and were there. At this amazing bar. There are HUGE beds all around and the bartenders are very attractive. We managed to sweet talk our way up to the rooftop (where you're also supposed to have reservations) and it was AMAZING. A huge open area with beds around the outer parimeter and tables in the middle. You could see the lights of the entire city all around. They played sexy club-ish (chill and relaxing, not really 'dancey') music the entire time. Drinks were between $12 & $14 (our drinks were, anyway). So we stuck to two martinis a piece. But, a friend of Lil's explained to me that martinis are like breasts... More than two and it's just scary. And, it certainly can be scary when they're made the way BED makes them ;-) I stuck to one martini and one fabulously strong and yummy drink with crushed strawberries... (I forget what it was called however... but you can see it in the pic.)

After we went to BED, we hit up Joshua Tree (a bar & restaurant). This bar was more upbeat and we had a great time. Drinks were less expensive ($7-ish) and they played 80s (and some early 90s) music the whole time. The best part was that they had TVs all over the place and whatever song was on, the music video would be playing. We walked in to M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This". It was sweet.

But, Joshua Tree was SLAMMED. And after a while, we wanted to go somewhere more spacious, to dance. We hopped right next door to Bar 515.

Me, Lauren & Lil at Bar 515

Before we went in, I met an Irish boy. (Lil & Lauren, having boyfriends, let me be the one to flirt of course.) He was pretty cute and the accent added about 1000 hot points from the beginning. He said his name was Thomas and that he plays a new character, Bruce, on the NBC soap opera Passions. I can't find him anywhere on any cast list, so he was probably lying... But he already had the accent... He didn't need to lie about being on TV to up his game... But Lil and I doubt it was the truth, and until someone shows us otherwise, we're sticking to what we believe. His pic's here - he's next to me.
Me & Thomas (aka a fake soap opera star named Bruce)
Does anyone even watch Passions? And if so, have you ever seen him on it?

I have absolutely NO idea what time we made it home by. All I know is that Lil, Lauren and I had the BEST time all night long.

Sunday, before catching the bus back to DC, we did the whole Times Square trip. It was fun, and I did see the biggest Dove ad that I've ever seen before, but I don't think I'll need to do it again. It is very touristy and for the most part, once you've seen it, you've seen it. We did the whole Rockefeller Center thing too. And shopped in some super fun stores, like Louis Vuitton and Prada (to name a couple).
Just for you, DCB!

All in all, it was an absolutely fabulous time and I simply can not wait to go back!

17 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Yay sorry I missed the fun...I can't wait to go play!

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Washington Cube said...

DCB is never going to live down that Dove ad...it will follow him around like a soapy albatross. Sounds like you had a blast.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger AMS said...

I love those big fat beads!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Johnny said...

so martinis are like breasts...

you sucked on them good?

}:)

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you always star-struck by athletes?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Sara said...

ams - I do too! They sell them everywhere down Canal Street.

johnny - martinis are like breasts... more than two and it's just scary.

anon - um, yeah, I am. Perhaps star struck is not the correct wording, but I really admire professional athletes.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Tasha said...

that guy who claims to be Bruce is a liar! I watch Passions (I know I'm a dork) and there is no one named Bruce on the show and I definitely never seen him on the show

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canal Street is awesome.. You can get the best buys on jewlery and pocketbooks there.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger roosh said...

upon closer inspection, the really pale girl in the billboard isn't that bad

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I always thought that the martini phrase went like this: martinis are like breasts, one is too few, three are too many.

Some one told me that while I was in France a few years ago, so maybe that's just a cros-cultural spin on the phrase.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger V said...

Glad you had so much fun--let's talk more about your interest in the DC United...I may have anin to some sweet seats and maybe meeting a player or three ;)

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said...

So it's bad that I drink 4 or 5 martinis? LOL

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara.......I was just in NYC the weekend prior to yours and was amazed at how many women were into those "big wooden bead" necklaces. Seems to be the latest trend up there. My g/f bought 3 of them on Canal for $25!

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger VP of Dior said...

Not gonna lie, I sweat those big beads....even though the trend may soon be over because it was featured in the NYT.

Sara - I too would move to NYC in a heartbeat. I've been applying to jobs and thinking about buying stock in Ramen-Noodles (since I'll be so poor that's all I'll be able to afford).

Lastly, anyone down for Local 16 on Thursday? I think the Boy and Asianmistress expressed some interest....

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Lil DC Diva said...

I've had my beads for well over a month now! I knew the trend would catch and it DID and I LOVE IT!!! Its such a great way to accessorize!!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Scot in DC said...

Letterman and Best Week Ever love Passions (they both do recaps of it all the time). That show looks freaky and that guy doesnt look freaky enough to be on that show, in fact I think he is far to good looking to be on the show

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger matty said...

Aww I miss the big city...could use a nice weekend there myself instead of a drive by like I did last time though at least $12 a drink? You could do better than the soap poser dude too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home