Wednesday, August 17, 2005

On Drunk Dialing


As the self-proclaimed queen of drunk dialing and having been the recipient of a few recently, I've come to the realization that (friendship calls aside) there are really two types of drunk dials, A and B.

DD A: The one that you do not want to make at all when you're sober. This call goes out to the person that you really like. It's too hard for you to tell them how you feel in person, but when you're drunk it seems like a great idea. You forget when you're drunk, that they're in a position to reject and/or hurt you when you open yourself up to them. But you're confident that regardless of what they say you're alcohol content will be cushion enough to avoid any bruises. However, the cushioning is short-lived until you remember what you said the next day. You know that feeling... you might be hung over, but happily walking through the grocery store the next afternoon and then the first flashback - similar to a hotflash - of the conversation hits you. And you realize what you've said. You have three options from this point forward. You 1) go with it and see what happens, 2) act as though you don't remember what you said, 3) play it off as though you drunk dialed everyone in your phonebook and laugh it off to show that you didn't mean what you said. (Although with option 3, you're secretly hoping that they'll say that they wish you'd been serious because they care about you too, blah blah.)

DD B: The one that goes out to the people still interested in you. (Or at least that's what you think when you're drunk.) If drunk dial A does not go well, you often resort to Drunk Dial B. (Or sometimes, your drunk enough to drunk dial, but sober enough to make DD A.) You flirt. They flirt. Sexual innuendos are made, but not always followed through. But you certainly end up feeling better about yourself. And the person on the other line does as well. For that night. The next morning you don't really care about what you've said because you didn't mean it and most likely it's a regular occurrence and just not a big deal. More often than not, the recipient of your call already knows that you were just drunk and lonely and calling just to flirt with them. Careful though, sometimes this can still hurt a person's feelings.


And sometimes, when you're on the receiving end, it can be impossible to tell which DD option you are, A or B. Sometimes it can make all the difference in the world. And sometimes, it just doesn't matter at all.

PS. I don't think I'd mind if the guy in the picture DD'ed me... ;-)

9 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger Adam said...

Something about a drunk dial...I'm pretty good at it, not as bad as I was in college thought. You forgot about option C, the booty call, or would that fall under option B?

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

What about a drunk text message? I got one last night from a guy I had ONE date with...I didn't return it yet. Not sure what to do.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

The drunk text is just as dangerous, if not more so... You have spelling errors to worry about and then anything you text is left up to interpretation by the recieving party. Use carefully.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Thank you, Adam, for bringing up "C" since my "ex" is famous for being Mr. DD C caller.

It's sad. Very, very sad. I hate being missed at 2 a.m., and you're drunk.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger mixin' vixen said...

i usually call those "flashbacks" pop-up memories.

i'm a fan of drunk text message myself...much easier to play off as someone else took your phone and made those suggestive comments.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Adam said...

No worries Cube...that's what I'm here for.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Former option C'er here...the worst part was that neither of us even LIKED each other, it was just convenient. Yuck. That was a LONG time ago now.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave a guy a chance because of multiple drunk dials. It puts you out there - but it also shows someone you care.
If it is from the right person - you love it. The wrong person - you ignore it!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

Last month when I was at Nanny O'Briens with my Greek friends, I remember threatening (jokingly, of course) to call the police on my friend if she kept drinking.

The sad thing is that the next morning, 911 was in my recent call list. I don't remember actually following through on the threat. I kind of wonder what I said to the dispatcher.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home