Friday, August 19, 2005

On my day yesterday

There's a lake about 1/2 a mile behind my house. It's between 2 and 2 1/2 miles long. This is the lake I run around three to four times a week (which just started last week, so we'll see how long I keep it up.) And by run around, I mean run for two minutes and walk for two minutes alternating... Because it's a weight loss program, not a marathon training.

Anyhow. I'm writing this post to show you a prime example of how I always manage to embarrass myself. With out fail.

At close to the end of a lake lap, I always run by a basketball court. There are always people playing on it, but I never pay attention because by that point I'm getting tired and focusing on finishing. Yesterday there were a bunch of boys playing. And one of them threw the basket ball so that it landed right in front of me - apparently to get my attention because obviously I listen to my music so loud while running (to drown out the sound of my breathing) that I didn't hear him calling at me. So I stopped and some guy ran up to get the ball and told me that his friend thought that I was pretty and wanted to ask me for my phone number. I thought it was kind of stupid that his friend came over, as though we were back to being 14. Then he pointed to the boy, who was smiling over at us kind of sheepishly... And he was very cute. Of course, I suddenly thought it was the sweetest thing ever that his friend came over for him.


Description: Tall, shaggy light brown hair, very nice arms. Green eyes. Just a little bit bigger (muscle-wise) than I usually like... but he pulled it off very nicely. He was wearing a cutoff Harvard Law T-shirt. Was I impressed by the shirt? Yes, so sue me. Am I aware that it could easily have been someone else's shirt? Yes. Do I care? Not really. Did I give him my number? You betcha.

So I move onto my second lap of the lake. OK, and I'll admit it. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I really was feeling a little bit cocky. I'm sure you can understand - when you get hit on by an attractive person, you're confidence is always bolstered, so you know the feeling. But around my lake, there are about three spots where, no matter what, you will always run through a spider web. Almost guaranteed. I was a little more than half way around the lake and I reached one of these spots. I always run through them waving my arms in front of me to get rid of the webs. Well this time, I swung my arms up (I don't know why, I always swing them down) and I freaking hit a spider and I propelled it right into my own face. Let me pause here and say that I have a major thing about bugs. I hate them. I am more scared of them than anything else in the world. I'm talking all bugs (except butterflies of course.) And spiders are the absolute worst. So, needless to say, I feel the spider smack my face and I begin screaming bloody murder. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. At this point I'm dancing around brushing every part of my body off to check for the spider. Screaming. Almost crying. Full blown freaking out.

And then I look up. And whom do I see standing there looking at me in astonishment? The basketball boy. Turns out he was going for an after-game jog. Great. I can't remember the last time I was so embarrassed. I swear it was the perfect set up for a sitcom. He laughed and seemed to be understanding as I explained my bug phobia... but will he still call me? Well, now that he's seen my screaming, spider-searching frenzied dance, I fear that it may no longer be the case. (Honestly, I don't care becauses I don't think I'm really looking for anything right now anyway.) And I learned my first upteenth lesson that there is truth behind the saying that pride comes before the fall.

Other Lake Observations:
  • I saw a woman smoking while running. She had on a sports bra and shorts, with a pack of cigarettes tucked into her shorts. Her cigarette was lit and she was running. Kind of a living example of an oxymoron, ya think?
  • I went to school in North Carolina. In the south, you smile and even sometimes say hello to everyone you walk by. It's just the way it's done. So when I run by people at my lake, I always smile. I noticed yesterday that almost every guy I passed smiled back and almost every girl did not. I don't get it. It's not like we're out at a bar competing for guys (like I'd do that anyway), we're just all out running or walking to stay in shape or relax. Why not just smile back?
  • I passed a pack of ghetto people smoking pot a little bit off the path. One of them shouted at me, "don't worry girl, you'll work that baby weight off in no time". And then they all laughed like there was no tomorrow. The little jackasses. (I heard this because I was no longer listening to music because after the spider incident I threw my walkman on the ground and lost one of the batteries.)
Also last night, much to the entertainment of the family behind me, I walked right into the automatic door at Target. Apparently it wasn't working. And I found my new favorite teeny-bopper popstar - her name is Kaci Brown.

And that's about it.

24 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I live about a block from a huge lake at a state park and haven't been there since I was a kid and we used to ride our bikes there...maybe I need to go back for cute girls...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Dutchess said...

That's a fabulous story about the guy on the court! He's obviously a nice guy being that he was too shy to approach and his friend thought enough to do it for him. Keep us posted when he calls!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger The Boy said...

smoking and running? thin and beautiful?

Oh yeah, and that baby weight thing is like one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. I'm totally going to use that, but I'm mean.....

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Should I choose this spot to be critical of the guy who can't suck it up enough to initiate the conversation with a pretty girl?

Seriously. That's cute?

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger roosh said...

i66: as long as a guy is cute enough he can send over his grandmother and a girl will still give up the digits

looks make up for a lot of things... personality, lack of balls, etc etc

Good story though, gives me hope in meeting people as my club phase winds down.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Linz said...

sara that is really funny! :o) i hope he calls!

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous rcr said...

I got to agree with I-66 here: I don't understand why a girl would look past that - girls always say they're attracted to confidence, so.... ?

Not being critical, I'm just contrasting this with say, a text message ask-out. Seems the same to me. Lack of confidence.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

Maybe when he calls, you can asked him to drop a pair. I mean, any guy who wears a Harvard Law t-shirt and is a baller should have some balls to ask you out. If he can't do that, how's he going to negotiate contracts, be in court, etc after law school? "ah... sir... if it's okay... I'd... like... to ... um... send my co-counsel to ask for a ruling."

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

But on the whole, nice stories and, as always, thanks for entertaining. This is now like my morning sports page.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger playfulinnc said...

Adorable. Yo, NC is in the house...what is more amazing is that you GRADUATED from ECU.
:)
(UNC-G grad)

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

...so let's give 'em a hand / come on folks lets stand / and show em we're from EC

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Sara said...

adam - go for it... I swear there are so many attractive people out running around 630 or 7... It's great and quite the motivator when I'm feeling lazy

dutchess & linz - thanks! I'm not sure that he will call because I really looked like a jackass jumping around, but we'll see!

the boy - yes, i'd agree that the baby weight thing is funny, even though i certainly have not had a baby. grrr

i-66 & rcr & elvis, normally i would rather the guy come and talk to me himself but to be honest 1) he was cute so it didn't matter as much and 2) it was a fresh approach instead of the cocky 'i know i can get you' attitudes of most of the guys who have hit on me recently. i'd rather have shy and sweet than cocky and "thinks he can get any girl", any day

dcb - you're right on the nose about snice he was cute, the shyness was ok. But looks do not make up for personality, etc..

playful - I love NC :-) I certainly miss the south sometimes... but DC is where my heart is. (even though it's technically the south, blah blah)

i-66... nice lyrics lol

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Tasha said...

I hope b-ball guy calls! keep us posted

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

Not cocky, confident. Someone who'll smile at you, maybe give you a mischievous wink, and come up and say witty like "hi... I was looking for my winning lottery ticket but then, saw you and wanted to say hi." Then again, a guy that looking doesn't need to now, does he? He could be swatting at gnats and you'd ... wave back, thinking, "I can't believe he waved at me."

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

I wouldn't worry about your spider dance. Most guys would probably think you were just being cute and girly.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger I-66 said...

Don't ask me why I know all of the words to the fight song...

...and if shy and sweet's your thing then that's cool, but you can't complain then if he's hard to talk to/doesn't have much to say... there's a reason he didn't come over himself.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Elvis said...

the Spider Dance you did is regarded as highly attractive... in the cannibalistic sub-Sahara Central African Republic. (At least it's good for something, yah?)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger cuff said...

I love the smoking and running. It's so decadent. I'm amazed when I see people biking and smoking, but your sighting is ten times more jarring.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger DCLastCall said...

Sara, was that you who waved at me while running? I was the one with the wife beater t-shirt, denim shorts and knee high white tube socks.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Complacent Chase said...

He will call.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Sara, you are too funny :-) The description of the spider dance is cracking me up!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

It just came to me, re: smoking and jogging....the movie Body Heat. William Hurt is out jogging and stops to light up. That was the first time I ever saw the jogging/smoking connection, and it still cracks me up. There's another great cigarette scene in that movie where all parties meet in a law office (I think), and every single person at the table lights up at once.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

I did the "have a friend ask for me thing" once. It was early high school.

If you graduated from high school, you should be able to progress past this point.

But look on the bright side Sara, you'll most likely be the one wearing the pants.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

That would be the story of my life Sara, thanks.

Funny story...I screamed and jumped one time at what I thought was a bug. It turned out to be a feather. My dad was with me and laughed and said the feather was probably more frightened than I was.

Hah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home