Monday, August 22, 2005

Themed Weddings

I was listening to Elliot in the Morning this morning during my hideous monday morning commute to work. It was actually the best of Elliot (I think) so it may have been an older segment. But he was having engaged people call in and talk about their weird wedding plans. And I swear, I heard the strangest things.

First of all, there were a ridiculous amount of callers who said that they were having Star Wars themed weddings. Brides dressing as Princess Leia, couples entering the reception as Star Wars music plays in the background, after cake cutting saber fights... I mean, it was ridiculous! Maybe I just don't get it - as I've never seen a single Star Wars episode (I just had to look up how to spell Leia) - but I can pretty much guarantee that if I had, I still wouldn't be modeling my wedding after it. Come on. You've got to be kidding me.

Then there was the caller who said that he and his fiance were either going to go to their wedding as Batman and Robin or as Sonny and Cher. Um, let's see. In the first choice, they would be going as two men (and for the record, this was a heterosexual couple). In the latter, one of the characters is DEAD. Great. What is wrong with these people?

Elliot then reminisced about attending a Halloween wedding in which everyone (bride and groom included) wore black. And instead of candles lit everywhere, there were jack-o-lanterns. Another caller said that at a wedding she went to on halloween: the groom dressed as Chucky, the bride was the bride of Chucky, the best man was the devil, the maid of honor was an angel, the groomsmen were the KKK and the priest dressed as Jesus. Um. No thank you.

There were other callers - one was having a white trash wedding full with a red carpet in front of a trailer and bridesmaids entering on ATVs - another was attending a 2006 Lord of the Rings themed wedding (but he was planning to dress as Harry Potter to crash it). I mean, what is wrong with these people?

Personally, when I think of a wedding theme, I think about a romantic theme with candles and lace and an old white church. Or maybe of a beach theme, of being barefoot on the sand with the sunset in the background. Am I the weird one?

14 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Um, you've never seen Star Wars!?! I might have to stop reading this blog...

Seriously though, I've seen it about 1000 times and I'd be mortified to have my wedding themed after it!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I know. I need to see it. But I just never have. I'm not against watching it though! Someday I'll have a marathon and do them all at once...

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Elvis said...

"Best of [Elliot]" also had a litany of people who had been married multiple times. One man who had been married 6 times, the shortest lasting six months. It was funny. I mean, the divorce process is longer than the marriage. Yah, I heard part of the discussion. But I think you're the weird one... freak. I mean, what's so wrong with getting married while being dressed as KISS (the band)? I mean, I'd do it... if I lived in a double wide, had an orange leisure suit, and had a hole in my head.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Genevieve said...

I'm trying to imagine just what character my dad would be...

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

Sara? You are now the 2nd person I've made the acquaintance of who has never seen a Star Wars Movie. It's not for everyone, I know, so I won't say anything bad but I might recommend seeing them before I buy you your drink ;o)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sara said...

i-66 please refer to my 11:06 comment

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

no I know.. I'm just putting a little time-friendly pressure on ya. Harmless really.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

oh.. and it seems we couldn't draft yesterday since there were an odd number of teams.. what shall we do?

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger The Captain said...

Nobody here is highlighting the real problem, which is that you listen to Elliot in the Morning in the first place. His laughter is forced, he sounds obnoxious, and he's not funny.

Before 99.1 went Spanish, The Sports Junkies were the best morning show going, but without them, you have to go with Howard Stern. Elliot is a man who wishes he was Howard Stern, and needs to be shot. And Howard Stern will hopefully make me very rich soon.

Also, I think a case could be made that Cher is dead as well, and has just been re-animated and filled with fluids to appear alive, while music is pumped in from backstage. I'm 20% sure this could be happening.

I-66 and I were at a themed wedding this summer. The theme was "girl marrying guy who makes a lot of money and is hoping to get pregnant and never work a day in her life." At least, I suspect that was the theme, I could be wrong.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger RHB said...

Sara,
Don't worry. I've never seen the older "real" star wars, and just found out the other day of the actual relation of lea and luke. (I'd post the link to where I posted, but then you'd murder me) Everyone says it's common knowledge. Guess not.

And to answer your question. How about a "Wedding Theme" with the bride clad in white, the groom in black? Perhaps that's not cool anymore.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Complacent Chase said...

Some people should not be allowed to marry and breed.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger AMS said...

Can you just imagine the embarassment when their kids are looking back on the wedding photos?

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous slingblade said...

I caint dercide betwixt a Forrest Gump or a Rain Man wedding.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Okay, I agree that those people are out of sorts. But you really should see Star Wars. It's not my favorite, but worth seeing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home