Thursday, September 29, 2005

Commercials

I'm not a big TV person. But nowadays, there are a lot of shows that I happen to like so I've been watching it a lot. (Desperate Housewives, Rome, Family Guy, Grey's Anatomy, Surface, Medium, House, Boston Legal, Lost, Invasion, the OC, Reunion... Seriously, it's pathetic - Not that I watch all those shows every week, but definitely Rome, Grey's Anatomy and Lost...

So in all this newfound TV watching, I've also been seeing a lot of commercials. And I've made some observations about a few of them:
  1. DHL's new customer service commercial - I LOVE IT. It really portrays how shitty customer service is today. It's ridiculous. If DHL really does provide the fantastic customer service that they claim, I think I will begin using their services.
  2. Someone running for something in Virginia has a commercial out. This commercial focuses on education, so that's great. But one of the statements is that he wants to keep gang members out of Virginia schools. Again, that's great. But how sad is it that there are gang members in Virginia? I mean, perhaps I'm just out of the loop but this wasn't a big problem when I was in high school just 5 years ago. I always thought that someday, Northern VA would be a good place to raise kids because the schools are great and it's a good area. So the fact that gangs are a problem there now really upsets me.
  3. There's a Wendy's commercial out promoting the new "choose your own" burger or something like that. It's all fine and dandy until the very end, when they show a bride eating a Wendy's burger. Come on. What bride is going to eat Wendy's on her wedding day, in her wedding dress?
  4. Finally, there's a commercial out for a special edition Cinderella. In the commercial, they show the scene where her slipper falls off as she's running away from the prince and the ball. And it hit me. (Well, I've actually wondered about this before.) Why, at midnight, does everything else turn back into it's normal grimy self - but NOT her shoes?

15 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

"[H]e wants to keep gang members out of Virginia schools."

Keep 'em dumb and under your thumb?

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

There are indeed gang members in virginia schools... but it really does depend where you are. You'll surely find more in Prince William than say, Fairfax County.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

People always say there are gangs...there are gangs at every high school. Technically a clique is a gang.

It must have been one of Kilgore's ads...groan.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger The Mean Chef said...

Re: #2 -- The first few times I heard the commercial, I swore the announcer said "...keep gays out of our schools." I was all "Wha???" I was glad to later understand that he said "gangs." South Arlington has a HUGE gang problem, as does parts of Fairfax. Pretty nice for one of the country's wealthiest counties...

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Complacent Chase said...

I love the DHL commercials too! Genius! I love when the woman is trying to talk to the women at the perfume counter and they are all like "excuse me we are talking". That sh*t has happened to me before.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Kingsmith34 said...

The slippers are magic Sara. We mis you here!!!

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous rcr said...

Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, is ALL OVER NoVa. It's been labeled as one of the most dangerous gangs in America.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger DCLastCall said...

Gangs are all over and in every school. It's a fact (I say so). So rather than getting tougher on gangs as a whole, we are just going to limit their activities during school hours. Brilliant!

Speaking of Wendy's commercials, the one with the Racoons is one of my favorite commercials ever.

DcLc

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger cuff said...

I say don't give gangs rooms to meet at school. If they only give rooms out to approved student activities like yearbook and glee club, we won't have this gang problem in schools anymore.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Holy crap--I accidentally posted as "Mean Chef" in that earlier comment!! I guess he didn't log out...hazard of co-habitation while blogging. ;)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Linz said...

"What bride is going to eat Wendy's on her wedding day, in her wedding dress?"

HAHA! I photographed my roommate's wedding on Saturday and her dad went out and got McDonald's for everyone before the wedding...yes, the entire bridal party (including the bride in her wedding dress!) was chowing down on cheeseburgers, nuggets and fries an hour before the wedding! Classic...can't wait to see how the pics came out.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger sassyassy said...

Southern VA does not have those types of issues...great place to raise kids.

Lost...I just love Naveen Andrews...having heart palpitations just thinking of him.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happended to your teammates, the celebutante and Dc Diva? havent heard from them in a while.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would never eat fast food on my wedding day for fear that it would upset my stomach. that commercial is dumb.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

GOOD POINT about Miss 'rella and her shoes! Hmmm....there must be some mystical explanation we can come up with for why her shoe stayed glass instead of turning into pleather ;) Well, it ain't a mystical reason, but if it hadn't stayed glass and had, rather, been turned back into pleather, perhaps the prince would not have gone searching for her. Payless isn't as sexy as Joan & David, after all. So, the moral is that Prince Charming is a snob...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home