Monday, September 26, 2005

Two things

  1. I wish people would have more tact. I would have appreciated it this weekend because I was invited somewhere as a last resort. Twice. Here are the scenarios: Person A & B both ask "Hey, do you want to come to {insert event here} with me?" To Person A, I declined. To Person B, I accepted. And here were their responses: A - "Jeez, I can't find ANYONE else to come!" B- "Oh great! Everyone else I asked had plans."

    I mean, what the hell? OK, so I know that it's impossible for everyone to be first on everyone else's list for invites - but do you have to make sure they know it? Come on, let's show some finesse and realize that, while everybody's aware that sometimes they're not the first to be asked to some things, people don't like to think that they might be a last resort invite. So keep all of your previously declined invites out of the conversation. Thanks.

  2. I have a great respect and appreciation for police officers. Anyone who is still going through their hating the law days, in my opinion, never grew out of their teenager mentality - and should grow up. However, I think that cops who waste time standng around and playing with radar guns during rush hour should be... put in time out or something. Seriously, how annoying. Sure, people shouldn't speed. But with all the accidents and backup that happens every morning/afternoon on the beltway, etc., I really think that they should just be alert to help in those situations and keep the flow of traffic moving. I know that sometimes it's the people speeding that cause the accidents, but pulling a couple people over who are just rushing to get to work on time is not really going to make a difference.

9 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger V said...

Per #1, that is totally rude. They are lucky you didn't hang up on them or told them to piss off.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger The Captain said...

And you still went with them? You're more forgiving than many women I know.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

You shoulda retorted with something like "Yeah, well, you're not exactly my first choice, either."

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger I-66 said...

I've had to turn to folks at the 11th hour and ask them to come to something with me but under NO circumstances am I going to mention that they're the last resort. Seriously -- not smart.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

[Sarcasm Mode]As regards speed traps, you do realize that speeding is the root of the rape and murder that are the real crimes here in the city. [/Sarcasm Mode.]

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Genevieve said...

Does observation #1 extend to blogs? In the comment section should we refrain from saying something like, "Well, in the five blogs that I've read before yours today..."?

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous rcr said...

Speeding tix are a hefty source of revenue for the city and cops are often held to (stated or unstated) quotas for issuing them.

I have a great respect for cops, but I do a lot of illegal stuff so I tend to not like them.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger DCLastCall said...

Sara:

Excellent observation re #2. I had the same sentiment the other day while traveling on the Dulles Toll Road during rush hour. An Airport Authority Officer was standing beside the HOV lanes, presumably watching for violators. Good initiative, but frankly, this caused such a huge distraction for drivers in the other lanes that traffic almost came to a stand still!

RCR is correct, many departments apply pressure for their officers to actively enforce the traffic laws. However, as one of my former supervisors once reminded our squad when everyone was working speeders on the main roadways instead of doing other proactive patrol, "You're not f**king troopers!"

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

How about they bust people for talking on their cells while driving in the District?? I find that to be a lot more dangerous than speeding. There is a BIG difference between speeding and reckless driving. I speed, but I'm not reckless...

OK, RCR--what other illegal things are ya doing?? Do tell!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home